We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Feeding the birds in winter is a great initiative to help them get through this difficult time.
Indeed, while they bring a lot of life, these very cold months are often the most difficult for them and their livelihood is often scarce.
In addition, the presence of birds in winter brightens, enlivens and enchants our gardens, whose vegetation is often slowed down.
It is also a good way to maintain a good ecosystem in your garden.
- To read: Recognizing the main birds in the garden to better welcome them
Why feed them?
Winter is a time of year when food is done more and more rare.
Whether they are insects, worms, berries or seeds, they are harder to find and the frost also makes the much more delicate research.
Let's learn how to give them the care they need so that they have a good winter.
Do not not just anything so that our help does not become a handicap to their survival.
- Give them them seeds, fats and fruits essential to their subsistence.
When to feed birds in winter?
It is not necessary not feed them all year round because birds need to forage for their own food.
By creating an addiction, this would come to break the food chain mechanism.
- Birds should only be fed when they need it most, very cold period.
- When you start to feed them, wait for the return of a certain sweetness to stop.
The real needs in winter
Birds have important needs, especially forfoods high in fat.
For example, you can give them seeds, seasonal fruits that you cut into large pieces or even dried fruits.
Here is a small list to help you:
- unsalted butter and margarine
- apple and pears
- mixture of seeds such as wheat, oats or barley
- meat fat
- berries, here is some ideas
The ideal is to mix everything with butter or margarine to make it like a soft dough that the birds will eat without difficulty.
Either install them in a net hanging from trees or put them in your birdhouse if you have one.
The mixtures you will find there are obviously particularly adapted to our friends the birds.
Different seeds are mixed with fat in a net, this presentation has the merit of making food accessible to birds.
There are also food sticks, mash and even sachets of insects :
All these suggestions help to prolong the good nutrition of birds in winter.
Feeders adapted in winter
You will find in garden centers, or specialized stores, a wide choice of birdhouses and nesting boxes that you can :
- hang from trees, securely tied with wire.
- lay between the branches but held to protect them from the wind.
- plant on a nice perch in plain view of your kitchen or living room window.
Your cabin will quickly become a real observation post for young and old!
Consider the make yourself, children are very often the first interested in participating in such a construction.
It's also a good way to introduce them to the beautiful life of your garden.
In addition, these small cabins in the most varied colors are part of the reception of your home and they have the added advantage of immediately offering a good shelter for birds, especially in inclement weather.
By participating in the feeding of birds during the winter, you are helping those who have not been able to reach a slightly milder climate to fight against the cold.
You also promote the ecosystem while creating a true refuge full of life in your garden.
To read also:
- How to protect your plants from winter frost
- Bloom your garden in winter
- Recognize the main birds in the garden to better welcome them